UNLOCKING THE POTENTIAL OF MULTI-USE OF
SPACE AND MULTI-USE PLATFORMS
Preparing for the future innovative offshore economy
MARIBE is a Horizon 2020 project that aims to unlock the potential of multi-use of space in the offshore economy (also referred to as Blue Economy). This forms part of the long-term Blue Growth strategy to support sustainable growth in the marine and maritime sectors as a whole; something which is at the heart of the Integrated Maritime Policy, the EU Innovation Union, and the Europe 2020 strategy for smart, sustainable growth.
You don’t know what exactly means Blue Economy or Blue Growth? Learn more there
The project is an 18 month project that is funded by the European Commission and is led by a consortium of 11 partners from Ireland, United Kingdom, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Malta and the Netherlands. It is coordinated by University College Cork (MaREI).
Within the Blue Economy, there are new and emerging sectors comprising technologies that are early stage and novel. These Blue Growth sectors have developed independently for the most part without pursuing cooperation opportunities with other sectors.
Through learning from past EU projects and successful business models, MARIBE identifies key opportunities for synergistic collaboration. By helping partners to determine and develop the best business structure to support their cooperation, MARIBE will allow them to achieve increased efficiency and economic performance and will also benefit the general development of their Blue Growth sector.
Objectives of MARIBE
- Identify opportunities for Blue Growth sectors to cooperate with other sectors via multi-use of space or in multi-use platforms and assist in the development of the most promising project combinations.
- Provide information on the socio-economic context and the key technical and non-technical challenges facing these projects based in part on lifecycle learning.
- Use the consortium’s diverse network to introduce project stakeholders to key advisors and potential investors.
Impact of MARIBE
- Promote cooperation between sectors and will foster new business partnerships
- Promotion of the Blue Growth sector
- Stimulating interest and empowering stakeholders to significantly increase investor and other key stakeholder participation in Blue Growth.
- Creating comprehensive databases that will act as a resource for the Blue Growth sector.